Building a home lab is a good way to learn and test technical skills.
Listed below is the setup I use for my existing and planned projects. I will update this list to reflect the evolution of the home lab.
Laptop with i5 processor and (a modest) 4 GB of RAM
Virtual Box Environment
Virtual Box internal host network
- Ms Server 2008 Standard Edition with Active Directory
- Windows 10 beta
- Windows 7
- Windows XP
- Kali Linux
- Metasploitable - Ubuntu distro built to practice penetration testing
- DEFT Linux - Ubuntu distro built with digital evidence and forensics tools
- Build an Active Directory forest
- Build virtual network lab
- Upgrade RAM on host hardware